A malicious for-profit group named ‘Fangxiao’ has created a massive network of over 42,000 web domains that impersonate well-known brands to redirect users to sites promoting adware apps, dating sites, or ‘free’ giveaways.
The imposter domains are used as part of what appears to be a massive traffic generation scheme that creates ad revenue for Fangxiao’s own sites or more visitors for ‘customers’ who purchase traffic from the group.
According to a detailed report by Cyjax, the threat actors are based out of China. They have been operating since 2017, spoofing over 400 renowned brands from the retail, banking, travel, pharmaceuticals, transport, financial, and energy sector.
Stay informed of the latest Cybersecurity trends, threats and developments. Sign up for our Weekly Cybersecurity Newsletter Today.
Remember, CyberSecurity Starts With You!
- Globally, 30,000 websites are hacked daily.
- 64% of companies worldwide have experienced at least one form of a cyber attack.
- There were 20M breached records in March 2021.
- In 2020, ransomware cases grew by 150%.
- Email is responsible for around 94% of all malware.
- Every 39 seconds, there is a new attack somewhere on the web.
- An average of around 24,000 malicious mobile apps are blocked daily on the internet.