Numerous NPM users and packages have been observed by Checkmarx researchers to be automatically created recently, with all of the packages found to have nearly the same code as the Eazyminer package for Monero mining. While downloading the packages would not adversely impact machines, CuteBoi altered the configuration files of Eazyminer to specify the recipient server of mined cryptocurrency.
“At the heart of these packages are the XMRig miners. Their binaries, compiled for Windows and Linux systems, are shipped along with the packages. The attacker changes the names of these binaries to match the random names of the package themselves,” wrote researchers.
Stay informed of the latest Cybersecurity trends, threats and developments. Sign up for our Weekly Cybersecurity Newsletter Today.
Remember, CyberSecurity Starts With You!
- Globally, 30,000 websites are hacked daily.
- 64% of companies worldwide have experienced at least one form of a cyber attack.
- There were 20M breached records in March 2021.
- In 2020, ransomware cases grew by 150%.
- Email is responsible for around 94% of all malware.
- Every 39 seconds, there is a new attack somewhere on the web.
- An average of around 24,000 malicious mobile apps are blocked daily on the internet.
- Android puzzle game with over one million downloads reveals user information - 3 December 2022
- Nvidia patches 29 GPU driver bugs that could lead to code execution, device takeover - 2 December 2022
- Online disclosure of 5+ million Twitter users’ stolen information - 30 November 2022