National Math and Science Databreach, more than 190,000 notified of data security incident
According to their notification letter, on or about October 13, 2021, their AV software triggered an alert. Through the resulting investigation, NMSI determined that between September 23, 2021 and October 18, 2021, an unauthorized actor “may have had access to certain systems.”
The National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI) in Texas describes itself as a non-profit organization whose mission is to improve U.S. student performance in the subjects of science, technology, engineering, and math.
Although they claim there is no evidence of misuse, the information that could have been subject to unauthorized access includes name, address, and Social Security number.
The notification, sent to 191,255 people, does not indicate whether all of those potentially affected are students, teachers, employees or contractors.
NMSI’s notification to Maine provides more detail than the notices provided to Massachusetts or Vermont.
You may also enjoy reading, CVEs You May Have Missed While Log4J Stole The Headlines
Stay informed of the latest Cybersecurity trends, threats and developments. Sign up for RiSec Weekly Cybersecurity Newsletter Today
Remember, CyberSecurity Starts With You!
- Globally, 30,000 websites are hacked daily.
- 64% of companies worldwide have experienced at least one form of a cyber attack.
- There were 20M breached records in March 2021.
- In 2020, ransomware cases grew by 150%.
- Email is responsible for around 94% of all malware.
- Every 39 seconds, there is a new attack somewhere on the web.
- An average of around 24,000 malicious mobile apps are blocked daily on the internet.
- HTTP Fundamentals: Understanding the Basics of Web Communication - 20 March 2023
- How To Secure your Linux FiveM VPS or Dedicated Server - 16 March 2023
- WH Smith Announces Cyber-Attack: Employee Data Stolen - 2 March 2023