VMware warns of the public availability of CVE-2021-39144 exploit code
VMware warned of the availability of a public exploit for a recently addressed critical remote code execution flaw in NSX Data Center for vSphere (NSX-V).
VMware NSX is a network virtualization solution that is available in VMware vCenter Server.
The remote code execution vulnerability resides in the XStream open-source library. Unauthenticated attackers can exploit the vulnerability in low-complexity attacks without user interaction.
“Due to an unauthenticated endpoint that leverages XStream for input serialization in VMware Cloud Foundation (NSX-V), a malicious actor can get remote code execution in the context of ‘root’ on the appliance.” reads the advisory published by the company.
The product team has also released patches for end-of-life products due to the severity of the vulnerability.
“VMware has confirmed that exploit code leveraging CVE-2021-39144 against impacted products has been published.” reads the advisory published by the virtualization giant.
The virtualization firm also published separate guidance to upgrade NSX-V 6.4.14 appliances on Cloud Foundation 3.x.
The company urges its customers to upgrade their installs to the latest release
Suggest an edit to this article
Stay informed of the latest Cybersecurity trends, threats and developments. Sign up for our Weekly Cybersecurity Newsletter Today.
Remember, CyberSecurity Starts With You!
- Globally, 30,000 websites are hacked daily.
- 64% of companies worldwide have experienced at least one form of a cyber attack.
- There were 20M breached records in March 2021.
- In 2020, ransomware cases grew by 150%.
- Email is responsible for around 94% of all malware.
- Every 39 seconds, there is a new attack somewhere on the web.
- An average of around 24,000 malicious mobile apps are blocked daily on the internet.
- Voice ID: How Secure is it Really? - 2 March 2023
- Enterprise users infected by RIG Exploit Kit thanks to Internet Explorer - 27 February 2023
- Google Open-Source Vulnerability Scanning Tool - 18 February 2023